Friday, May 3, 2013

About Gaultier, balance, harmony and attitude


Here I am, the week 2 of my fashion design course, getting ready for my 3rd course tomorrow. So theoretically in 6 hours of course I learned few basics about drawing fashion sketches, but I can’t say at this moment that I am really able to express any idea I have in my head (maybe I have none?!)

As I was mentioning in my first debrief post on the second course, there are some other things that we discussed briefly. Firstly about balance, harmony and attitude in fashion design, and second about big fashion designers and how we need to study them and their styles. I suggested for the next course we can discuss about Jean Paul Gaultier and we decided we will. 

I like the way he gets inspired by nature for his creations as well as by all the cultures of the world and can bring things so diverse together so harmoniously. I also like him because he seems one of those artists that are more interested in the “creation” itself than in where or how the creation will end. He is all about attitude and innovation, his women are powerful and grounded. He uses natural, earthy colors, but the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of him are the stripes and the bullet bra. He is bold and crazy, he is one of the few designers using over-sized models (for the norm of the industry), and introducing the skirt for men.
Below are few Gaultier creations (images from shows or sketches) that illustrate some of the observations above.

JP Gaultier, fall 2005 couture, www.stylekilling.com
JP Gaultier - fall 2005 couture, www.stylekilling.com
                    
JP Gaultier - Spring / Summer 2011 - Paris  www.designinspiration.net 

The Mosaic Foundation - Sketches from the 2005 Benefit Dinner
As per my homework, which was not really defined (I understood we had to draw something that is balanced, harmonious), anyway, to practice what we have learned so far). My first try was an idea I had in mind, the second one a copy from a magazine. Honestly, not really happy about the result. For the first one I tried to use the ¾ pose we learned last week, but a front pose would have been much better to illustrate this design. The second one is a copy, so not much of a challenge, but I realized I am still at the “kinder-garden” level when it comes to using the colors.

                                    

After drawing this I went online and looked for sketches of famous designers and I realized some of the things I am doing wrong. I try too much to stay within the lines, to use an uniform color, to keep the proportions, when actually this should more stylized. I should use more vigorous lines, and try to render an idea, an attitude, as opposed to draw clothes on paper. Enjoy the beautiful sketches, the first three are sourced from Fashion Imperative Blogspot

Sketches of Jason Wue - bridal collection






No comments:

Post a Comment